The Journey East

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:44 pm

::Emberlynn gently folded and rolled up a few pairs of clothes and underclothes, tucking them neatly into a small pack that she could carry easily. She glanced around as she gathered things up to take on her journey; her journals, some parchment for letters, wax for seals, and other various things she might need.

Sighing, she had a seat on the edge of the bed, staring off into space, thinking of the long and troubled path they were going to be walking. For so long she had been ready for this trip, longing to learn the origins of her powers... to learn who she was. And now that the trip was fast upon them, she had her doubts. In the end... would she be happy that she learned any of it? Or would she wish she had never sought out the truth?

I have to do this... if not for me.. then for the children. She thought. They should know who their parents were... as much as can be told... so that they can understand what brought us together... and why we made the choices that we did. They deserve to know, and I cannot place the burden of seeking the truth on to them.

Her bags were packed. Now all that was left to do was to wait. Wait for the sunset, and for Nicolai to return from his errands::

*in elven* Honey Im home. *stumbles up the stairs with books and parchments* Im ready to go when you are. *a shadow can be seen in the doorway* You remember Sywyn don't you? My friend from home who joined the Emperial Guard? He will be traveling with us at least, some of the way. He is off to Sanitian, there was a calling for my kin to leave these lands and go back to our homeland. Alata is a wise one, but very cautious of outsiders. Anyway ... *pulls out a helmet or mask that looks like a human head and puts it on - in a non scholar tone* Whaddya dink lady, does I pass as a human *trys to chuckle from his belly*

She nodded politely to Sywyn and then covered her mouth to stifle a laugh at his display. She herself had chosen a simple brown dress which masterfully hid the fact that she was pregnant, giving the illusion she might just be fat.

"Where in heavens did you get that thing? Yes, I think you'll pass unless someone bright gets a closer look at you. Perhaps we should have planned for me to cast a spell like I used to disguise myself before... but no matter, there's no time to procure it now." She took a deep breath and sighed softly. "I'm glad your home... I was beginning to worry. Lady Alata is wise... I sense that trouble is coming too... and not just for us. Tanamerah and the neighboring towns are becoming unsafe for good innocent people... with the Red Hand and...." She didn't bother to finish the comment about the Scarlets, she was sure that Nicolai knew exactly what she meant.

She pulled a heavy brown cloak, latching the simple clasp at the collar.

"Night has fallen... we need to get moving."


Nicolai nods as understanding she meant the Scarlets and the attacks they have started on the innocent, un-warranted. He places on his humanlike mask and the three of them leave Tanamerah on their way North to Saban to catch a ship to Port Smith.


On the trip north to Saban, Emberlynn remained quiet, her hood pulled up to hide her features. The road was desolate, but that didn't mean there might not be trouble lurking in the shadows, and she looked about occasionally, growing still as if to sense if there might be danger near. All she could hear were the sounds of the horses hooves on the dirt road.


"Dear, lets stay here for the night at the Inn. *smiles a seductive smile*"


Blushes softly from beneath the hood, and glances back at Sywyn briefly. Part of her did want to rest, but the other part of her wanted to put more miles between them and Tanamerah.

"Shouldn't we use nightfall to our advantage... and rest during the day?" She whispered softly to him, not wanting her concerns to be overheard by any of the townsfolk.


"I suppose you are right" *smiles* "Mother knows best".


She giggled softly and gave him a gentle thump on the shoulder, knowing quite well that she was being teased, then rubbed the spot where she thumped gently to indicate she did not mean it.

She spoke to him in elven, quietly, with pauses occasionally while she thought of the words to make sure she was saying things correctly.

"This is important... we can rest later... we need to take every advantage we can of the cover of darkness. When daylight comes many of those we have not told we were leaving will notice we are gone... and they will be roaming in search of us... friends... and foes. I can imagine it will be safer to rest once we have put further distance between us and Tanamerah... at least we should wait until daylight has broken. Do not worry that I will grow tired... though my body might... my mind will not let me give up as long as I have strength to stand."

She looked about, taking a deep breath. When they reached their resting place, she would begin to work on the letters she would need to send to let those choice few know that she and Nicolai were on their journey, and not to look for them, that they would contact them when the time was right. Until then... she had to focus on the journey ahead of them. Though as she looked forward towards Saban, as they approached the large wooden gates, a part of her wanted to look back, longed for her friends and those she cared for.... she wanted to close the distance between them.


I fear that I may never see them again... if that be the case... may the gods and goddesses keep them safe in these dark times that lay ahead...

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:45 pm

*Unseen eyes watch as a trio of traveler's passes in the night. Moving to the tracks they leave he checks and pays close attention so he may pick the trail up again*

*A quick hand signal and his men come to him, they silently head east of the road*...........

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 pm

The boat arrives with the passengers in Port Smith, they grab a quick bite to eat at the local Inn and then continue onward. As they travel towards NumFor, Sywyn speeds a head, as if something caught his eye or ear, then sounds of battle are heard. A group of bandits attacking travelers on the road fall to the dual blades of this elven defender. Nicolai says an incantation and a screech is heard. The remainder of the bandit groups fall with blood running from their ears.

"Well now, shall we continue on" *smiles*

Sywyn wipes the blood from his blades and again, the travelers move on towards Numfor.

Emberlynn could not help but frown slightly in worry at the display of battle, knowing that more of this might be in store for them. She placed one hand protectively over her belly beneath the cloak, murmuring soft words of prayer or perhaps even a spell. Then she nodded to Nicolai in agreement, avoiding a second look at the fallen men as they passed.

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 pm

*At a camp near Ninago a dark figured followed by others approach a hunched old man tending a dying fire*

Hey old man.... they are on the move and they seem to be going for a while they have supplies and a body guard with them. They appear to be headed to Num For.

*a dry laugh, like that of dead leaves blowing in the wind, escapes the old mans lips*

Follow them....

*the old man drops a pouch full of gold, which the dark tracker picks up and tosses to his men*

Very well.

*he turns and walks towards Saban, signaling his men to come*

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Night falls once again and the threesome leave the Inn. A quick stop at the local temple to pick up some supplies and a stop at the Trading Company to turn in some arrows that were taken from the Bandit Encounter. "Shall we go up and over the mountain or go through the Stone Wall pass?" Sywyn suggests the Stonewall pass since since the White Peak is very dangerous, evil stirs up there and the pass is now, at least half of it, patrolled and fortified by Emperial Guard. Nicolai bends over his wife, kisses her on the forehead and whispers "My love, the day star is fast a sleep, it is time that we continue on our journey."


She thought back to the incident the last time she had been in the Finesterre mountains... at the white peak when the 'witch' (she thought of her that way because she still wasn't sure what she was) grew angry at them and attacked, sending elemental creatures after them before going after them herself. Closing her eyes a moment, she controlled a shiver at the thought of dealing with that woman at a time like this.

"I agree... it sounds like a much safer alternative..."

She looked lovingly to Nicolai and offered a soft smile. "I'm ready to go when you are, my love."


The three check out of their room in Num For and head for the Stonewall Pass. As they arrive, Sywyn exchanges some pleasantries with those who he served with in the Guard. Nicolai, says some incantations and casts a spell on each of their traveling party. They are all able to see as if it were day. Then he pulls out a wand and waves it at each of them, the guard wonders where they went off to. Then another wand is waved as Nicolai states, "Lets make haste through these lands protected by the Red Hand". The group speeds off through the remainder of the pass.


She nodded, then blinked and made a strange expression, then giggled softly and reached out to gently take Nicolai's hand, placing it on her belly. She spoke softly in elven. "The baby is kicking..."


He looks up and smiles


[Days Later...]

They were now beyond the pass, having run into only minor troubles with the travel. Stopping to rest, they made temporary camp. Emberlynn sat by the fire, staring at it, thinking to herself. Suddenly, her expression changed from thoughtful to pain-enduring, and she folded over slightly, wincing. Emberlynn sucked in a deep breath, then breathed it out slowly. She looked to Sywyn and Nicolai with urgency.


"We must hurry...it is starting...it may be days... but I do not wish to risk it..." She said to Nicolai in elven.


Opening up his spell book, Nicolai quickly flips through some pages and chants to himself, as if he was trying to memorize something through repetition. He reaches into is satchel and grabs a few items. He then stands and helps Sywyn break down camp. Nicolai then begins to speak aloud and waves his hands in the air. The world has seemed to slow down for the 3 travelers, or is it they are just sped up.

"This should last long enough for us to make our way to Sanitan, where we will be safe to spend a little time. There will be kinfolk who will be able to help you through this my love."

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 pm

*He wipes the sweat from his brow and mumbles* I hate the desert... why did i take this job again *to himself*

The dark ranger plodded along his quarry picked up their pace considerably and he has to move at double time just to keep their tracks in sight. One of his men died tangling with those fanatics on the desert road. He was tired and just about out of water when he found the oasis. While he rests.....

*The old man seems to float rather than walk, effortlessly across the desert sands*

*He says to the old man* I think they are headed for the Pearl of the Desert Coast... Sanintan they will be hard to track there, there are a lot of people there.

*The raspy voice of the old man* They will standout... they are not from this land. Other will know this. Pick yourself up and move on. Your rewards await you when we arrive..... The last princess of Kitryn must be found...

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Pulling her cloak about her, the desert seemed to have little effect on her. Occasionally murmuring words softly to herself to steady herself during the spells of contractions, which seemed to be getting longer as the journey progressed, she could only bless the gods and goddesses that they would soon reach Sanitain. There, her child... or children.. would be born. And then they would be whisked away to safety.

She looked to see how Sywyn and Nicolai were managing in the desert heat, hoping that they are alright.


They hadn't been in the busy streets of Sanitain long, before Emberlynn was whisked away by a midwife to a private room in an inn.

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:48 pm

*a young dirty boy runs up to the dark clothed man sitting under an onning trying to stay out of the desert heat. The boy points excitedly down the street to one of the nicer buildings in Sanintan*

She is there I seen her... *he holds his hand out towards the dark ranger*

Very well... *He drops a gold coin into the boys hand* Run along now...

*He turns and strides towards the gates of Sanintan*

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  arhim on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:51 pm

While the midwife did her work, tending to Emberlynn and making her as comfortable as possible, two young men stood outside the door to keep the possible worrying husband or anyone else from disturbing the birthing. Emberlynn chanted to herself protection spells for her and the children, and to also ease the pain of the contractions.

The midwife murmured words to Emberlynn in comfort, checking her periodically. When the time came, she began to coach her, telling her when to push and when to stop.

Emberlynn couldn't remember the last time she was comfortable with a complete stranger, but the elderly woman had a grandmotherly feel to her which set her mind at ease, if only slightly.

The midwife murmured words to Emberlynn in comfort, checking her periodically. When the time came, she began to coach her, telling her when to push and when to stop.

Emberlynn couldn't remember the last time she was comfortable with a complete stranger, but the elderly woman had a grandmotherly feel to her which set her mind at ease, if only slightly.

---------------------

An hour passed, and from outside Nicolai and Sywyn might hear the small cries of a child. The midwife stepped out and looked to the young men standing guard.

"Stay here, let no one pass but the husband and his friend. The mother will need time to rest, and too many visitors might only aggitate her." She looked to Nicolai and Sywyn. "You may go in, but do not tax her too much. She will need sleep." She patted Nicolai on the shoulder with one wrinkled old hand. "Congratulations to you both..."

-----------------------

Inside, Emberlynn lay holding three bundles, one in each arm, smiling weakly at them both. Two boys and one girl. She murmured words of love in elven and english to them, and enchantments to protect their fragile bodies.

"My angels..."

She felt so happy she might cry.. and she knew at the sight of Nicolai and Sywyn in the doorway, that her time with them would soon be over. They would be leaving for Tari Tol immediately.

"Nicolai... the bag by the door... give it to Sywyn. It contains things for them, from the both of us. Gifts, and a copy of my journals... as well as some small toys and clothes. I couldn't leave Tanamerah without doing some shopping for them." She looked to Sywyn. "The midwife said the ship will leave soon... let Nicolai say goodbye to them.... and then... you must go."

"They are beautiful! And so are you mother. *smiles*. Triplets, who would have known, good thing I am a son of an Elven Lord *smirks*. " He bends over to kiss each one them. "So what names come to mind dear? Did you like any of the suggestions I made" He turns to Sywyn, "Please go and see if you can find Alata or Shay and Greyfeather, looks like you may need a hand with all of this" As Sywyn leaves the ward, Nicolai pulls up a chair and sits down. "I know I am supposed to tell you to get your rest, but I know how that conversation would go." He smiles at her, as a tear rolls down his cheek, knowing that their time with the babies will be all too short.


She watched as Sywyn left the room, and glanced to her husband, blinking her eyes to try and fight back her own tears. "I like the suggestions for the boys... but... I think I have another choice for the girl... Earane Anarion.... but which boy do we name what?" She chewed her lip, looking between the kids, trying to keep calm even though she knew she would soon lose sight of them... possibly forever.

Closes his eyes and points to one of the boys and chuckles. "Well I did propose to you many the name, which ones do you feel fit each of the boys?"

*A clocked and hooded figure enters Sanintan riding a brown horse down the center of the street. Looking left and right as they pass the buildings, they stop abruptly and turn towards a building with two men out front. Dismounting the horse in a quick practiced fashion, a quick hand gesture and verbal command to the horse send it away. The figure approaches the door with the two guards out front, they notice the short, thin figure approaching and check their weapons as a threat to the approaching stranger. Suddenly in a one swift movement the hooded stranger draws a brightly gleaming scimitar and closes the distance before either man can draw his weapon. With the scimitar resting on ones neck, the hooded figure speaks* I mean you no harm, I'm going to pass and you will continue to do your job.

*The door creaks open, inside Nicolai's elven ears detect someone entering*


Something is heard, it is not the sound of Sywyn returning far too noisy. Without hesitation, Nicolai pulls out two wands, all of a sudden the sounds of his wife and children can no longer be heard ... he then pulls another ... they are not seen now neither. He waves his hands and starts to chant something .... Emberlynn is very familiar with these incantations, as seeing Nicolai using them before many times before he enters combat, she deducts he has casted his epic enchantments of mage armor and warding. She can not see the children nor hear them, all she can do is feel them in her arms, Nicolai must have casted an invisibility spell and silence spell. She looks on in horror as she squeezes her children tightly in her arm ...



Holding the invisible children in her arms, she let out the words of her own enchantment, calling out a spell of protection from elements on Nicolai, preparing -if need be- to use her abilities against any possible threat.


*the door to the room bursts open, the hooded figure stands in the door, casting her hood back a flash of bright red hair can be seen. Alata looks about the room then speaks* Nicolai you were followed here. We have to move quickly to ensure the safety of the children. I have a boat waiting at the docks we have to move now. Some friends of mine are distracting those who are pursuing you. Grab whatever you need and lets get going. I tried to give you as much time as possible with the babies.

Emberlynn are you strong enough to walk now?


Emberlynn's mouth gaped open at the sudden appearance of Alata Elen.

Definetly not who I expected... she thought to herself.

She nodded. "Yes... I can..." Still holding the children, she shifted her weight and managed to get to the edge of the bed without shaking the invisible infants too much. Slipping dainty feet into tattered boots, she reached out and hooked the bag she had packed for the children with two fingers, having her arms full.

"Nicolai... can you put my cloak about me and raise the hood...I cannot manage it right now."


"Yes dear, no problem" ... He helps her with her hood and assists with gathering the rest of their belongings. Sywyn comes in from the door and tells Alata, that they must hurry, it is time.


Following the others, Emberlynn murmurs spells to herself, casting protective spells upon herself once more to enable her to better protect the children in her arms.


A messenger finds Nicolai and gives him a letter ...
===========================================
This letter is worn and tattered, but still the ink is still fresh as if it was written just yesterday...



_____________________________________________________________
Mes Dearest Friends Ems and Nicolai,
Mes ams so SORRYS mes wasn'ts ats yours weddin's. Mes was so hopin's tos bes theres... Mes guesses the invites was misdelivered... So mes sends mes presents tos yas, Hopes yas boths likes.... Mes wanted to sings this befores yas was marrieds, buts mes nevers gots the chance; so as a gifts...
( As you read this letter you can hear Jaques crazy voice singing these words)


When a youngs lads has his hopes so highs tos talks tos youngs lasses... gets discouraged when others fellows comes walkin's bys... the thoughts ofs times thats passes bys...Mes remembers when mes feelin's was captured and tossed as sides... Facin's yets anothers challenges, buts yets nos lasses fors mes... Mes felts sorrys for this youngs fellows whose trieds so hards tos tells a prettys lass hows muchs hes LOVED tos bes withs hers....yets hers hearts belonged tos yets anothers.. As mes past bys this sads fellows, mes hearts was full of sorrows, but yets nots fors hims. As mes remembers of days yets so fars aways. As mes memories passes mes bys....
Somedays mes wishes mes nevered kissed a fairs maidens, whose was shocked thats mes hads dones wats mes dids. Thou mes intentions weres theres; careless fors wats mes dids. Although mes loved hers, she wasn't yets readys. Thou wes ares friends, its wills nevers bes wats mes wanteds.
Hers hearts belongs tos yets anothers. Fors nows mes cans bes a goods friends, for mes has seens manys things that can hurt one's souls. Mes yets is happys fors these twos... Mes has seen thems togethers for manys years, and yets ats those times mes hearts seems tos breaks...
Thous shes prettys ins hers owns ways and hers fellows, hes nevers wants tos sees hers HURTS, and yets longs agos whenevers mes hads dones somethin's wrongs, he'd bes offs tos consoles hers, thous mes hearts woulds be brokens. He's ones mes ams glads hes theres fors hers...

( as you read these words you can visualize Jaques with a sad smile)


Seein's yas togethers and as happys as yas cans bes... It's specials and nos ones cans denys the loves thats yas boths has fors eachs others... As yas smiles meets, a dreamys gazes begins; as lovers dos, a warms feelin's begins tos grows. And everyones arounds justs disappears. And yas boths tos floats aways ons the clouds aboves.... And everyones arounds just disappears.....

( At the end of reading this you can visualize Jaques taking a bow; as though he was standing in front of you both)


LOVES,
From Jaques Des Chanteurs

====================

Nicolai smiles and passes it to Emberlynn.


After reading through it herself, she smiled softly, folded it up as best she could with her hands full, and tucked it into the bundle that was to go with the children.

"They should have this. If I get the chance... I will write him back... we must keep moving."


*Alata leads the group through the streets towards the docks. With an ever watchful eye on both her charge and her path looking for the dark ranger and his men*

This way, quickly now, there is a white and blue ship here at the end of the docks waiting to head out to sea. Everyone on board.

*She give Nic and Ember a look that says they should get on board and that she has something planned to help them escape*

*Ushering the group on board, she leads Nic and Ember down to the captains chambers. Here there are 2 cradles prepared* Seems we have had and addition we were not expecting.

*Alata pulls a dresser drawer open and makes a hasty bed for one of the newborn. Then she turns to Nic and Ember and point towards the window of the capt chamber*

You can slip out the window there is a small boat tied up at the bottom you should be able to slip away and get a day or two head start on your pursuers. I'm staying with the boat to ensure the little ones have a safe trip.

*Alata turns and heads out of the room for the top deck to keep a watch leaving the parents to their task*


Nicolai whispers blessings to each of the children and kisses each. He waits for his love to say her good byes. Sywyn stands sharpening his swords and smiles at his old friend. Nicolai knows that Sywyn will protect them with his life and make sure they find safe passage to the Island, where they will be raised.


She watched after Alata gratefully as she left, glancing to Nicolai in bewilderment at the Elven woman's lack of surprise at the children. Setting it aside as a question for other times, she turned to the children. Biting her lower lip gently, she held back tears as she leaned over, whispering more blessings to each of them and kissing them each lightly on their foreheads.

"My little ones..."

She squeezed her eyes shut a moment, took in a deep breath, and let it out slowly, steeling her nerves to the tasks ahead of her.

"May you know less hardship than those before you, but the same amount of love and happiness..." She whispered to them all, before turning to Sywyn.

"Be safe on your journey... and thank you for taking on this task..." She whispered softly, her voice choked with emotion. "Thank you."

She glanced to Nicolai, looked back at the cradles and the make shift bed, and then nodded.

"I am ready."

Emberlynn looked older in that instant. Her eyes filled with exhaustion and sadness at the knowledge that she might never see them again. She squared her shoulders, clamped her jaw, and steeled her nerves once more. The weakness was at once gone from her face, replaced with an expression of determination. Moving to the window, she gently pushed it open to prevent any noise, and began to prepare for descending into the little boat, which she saw below in the slowly churning waters. Why Alata was helping them, she might never know. But for all the times she might have cursed her for her Elven pride, in that moment, the only thing she could find for her was the most profound respect.

I could only hope to be half the woman that she is... she thought.

Having been told Lady Alata has left Tari Tol, Shayelle prepares to await her return at the docks. Hope in her heart that her vision was real...and that is was of Lady Alata's boat.

Word gets to Shayelle that the boat has arrived from Sanitian. Sywyn steps off of the boat with Alata. "Hello Shayelle, I believe these little packages are for you", he smiles. "I hope that you dont mind, but I will be stopping in to see how the three of them are doing." He holds up a bag, "This is from Emberlynn for the children. I have some things from Nicolai as well, but he wanted me to hold on to them until I think they are of age." He kisses each of the children on their foreheads, "I will be seeing you, I am off to see Lord and Lady DaVana to let them know their grandchildren are here." Sywyn bows to Shayelle and Alata and then goes on his way.

Shayelle hands a small note to Sywyn. "Tell her to read these words and focus on them when she wishes to see them...it is how I have watched you bring them here. *smiles* And give them both my love." Shayelle takes the infants and turns towards Lady Alata. "I guess - since you are apparently already aware - I will not ask for permission. I have much to ask you...and even more to tell, but first...*she smiles looking at them* These little ones should see their new room and settle in. *to Alata* Please come for dinner when you are refreshed M'Lady."

Shayelle gets the babies fed, tidied and bathed and fast asleep. "I will place these things where you shall see them daily and your bedtime story heroes shall be your parents...." She places the bag of belongings sent by Emberlynn aside for a later time and goes off to begin dinner.

arhim
DM
DM

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Journey East

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum